Friday, October 8, 2010

In Training

We have been working for about 4 weeks now with potty training. Ellie is very consistent when we are at home and she is bottomless. The minute she wears big girl underwear, or a pull-up she thinks it's ok to use it for it's purpose. I kinda want to give up and say she isn't ready, but when we are at home she does so well and initiates everything and does it by herself... the only problem is that she has to be half naked to do so.
What should I do oh wise potty trainers?

The first two days we were potty training she would earn a sticker for each time she went on the toilet. She literally filled her sticker chart up in one and a half days! (see it on the wall there?) Then she was kinda bored with stickers so I had to come up with a new plan. Seriously, this is genious. Ellie is big time into puzzles right now. Each time she went on the potty, she earned a piece to the puzzle. This worked very well for her. Maybe I should do that again now that it's like we're potty training all over again - with the underwear on this time.

Bribery is the only thing that this kid works for. She's gotten a Buzz and Woody sippy cups, candy, elmo toy, coins for her piggy bank, stickers, puzzle, going places like the park and shopping, chocolate milk (this was her reward for going #2 on the potty. She has never had an accident - and she still asks for it almost every time - I gladly give it to her).
This little one loves to be in the bathroom with us. Rolling the TP off the roll. Swishing her hands around in the water... toilet water that is. And getting into the garbage are some of the great fun things she has found to entertain herself while I am trying to help Ellie, and stay calm, and clean up pee.
Diapers were easier.

6 comments:

Julie Barnes

You are brave... :) I think Edward has at least another year before he is ready to even think about going on the potty. I heard girls are supposed to be easier. to me, it sounds like work no matter what.

Me

I can't believe the underwear gave her the same idea as a diaper. Crazy kid. My kids always liked to pick out the character on them and they were extra careful with them. Good luck. . . it will be over soon. Till you start with the next one:)

Thorpe

Agreed Diapers are easier! I am dreading doing my next girl, the first still is having accidents all too regularly. J asked the other day "At what point do we talk to the doctor about it?" Anyway, good luck!

Me

http://hagenhoopla.blogspot.com/2010/01/potty-training-stinks.html



seems you guys have something in common:)

DaNette

Amen to diapers are easier. Not to make matters worse but Potty training is THE hardest thing I've had to do as a Mom...errr.

I'm wishing you a better time than we had, although it already sounds like you are. And yes, bribery is totally in when it comes to potty training, so no worries. Good luck!

Malinovka

Oh, yes, diapers were easier. I cannot tell you how much I loathe potty training. And maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but even after almost three years, my oldest still has accidents. Yes, I hate it. They will finally get the idea; keep plugging away! That's great that she's done so well, even if it's only the way SHE wants to do it! GOOD LUCK!